Craft businesses must be one of the most under thought start-ups, in my opinion. It starts mostly with no more than a dream of spending all day making things that we get paid for… there is little thought for what it takes to run a business and how to start one in the right way.
Today I wanted to share my top 5 things you need to know before you start your craft business.
1. You need a never-ending pot of Passion for what you make… enough to make 101 of the same thing if you need to.
2. You need to know where your expertise lies, so that you can start in the right product area for you.
3. You need to be open to learning new things, because there’s going to be lots to learn along the way… from new making skills to how to run a successful business.
4. You need to make a solid unwavering commitment, one that your customers can depend on.
5. You need to be prepared to work harder than you ever have before to make this work.
In other words;
Passion + Knowledge + Commitment = Your Craft Business Idea
I know that that can feel intimidating, but I have created a guide to help you through the decisions you have to face.
How do I know the answers?
Because I have been there! I built my own Craft Business from a £100-pound investment to almost 7 figures of turnover in 11 years. It took lots of work and devotion from me, but it was one of the best things I ever did and what ultimately led me to this point, where I now mentor other craft businesses.
I’ll be honest and say I didn’t do everything the right way the first time around, my gosh I made some silly and sometimes costly mistakes… the truth was there just wasn’t the information out there… the internet was really only just starting out.
I did it!
Now I’m here to help guide others through a much easier path, because it shouldn’t be that hard to make a money from something we love doing.